International pilots who wish to fly in Canada have two options for conversion of a Private Pilot License to a Canadian PPL. Spectrum Airways invites you to review the options on this page, and get in touch with us for more information. You can convert your PPL licence into a Canadian PPL.
1 - Completing the Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC)
If you wish to fly recreationally in Canada and you have received a Private Pilot Licence from another country, you should apply for a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) before arriving in Canada.
The FLVC will be issued for a one year period, after which the applicant may choose to renew it, or apply for a permanent Canadian Private Pilot Licence.
Applying for the FLVC
1. Fill out the Foreign Licence Validation Certificate form
2. Include a copy of your licence, medical, and the form, and fax it 1-877-822-2129
3. The cost is $45.00CDN and may be paid by credit card, certified cheque, money order (cheques should be made payable to 'Received General for Canada')
2 - Obtaining a Canadian Private Pilot Licence
If you wish to obtain a Canadian Private Pilot Licence for a long term, you should convert your foreign licence to a Canadian PPL.
An applicant who is the holder of a Private Pilot Licence issued by another ICAO country shall be considered to have met the ground school, written examination, and the flight test provided that they can show a licence and logbook.
Converting to a Canadian Private Pilot Licence
1. Obtain a Canadian Class III medical or higher.
2. Complete the PSTAR exam at Spectrum Airways
3. Complete 5 take-offs and 5 landings within 6 months preceding the date of application. This can be done with an instructor at Spectrum Airways.
4. Have at least 45 hours total flight time, 12 hours solo, 5 hours instrument, 3 hours dual cross country and 5 hours solo cross country.
5. Once you have completed the above you will be issued a licence which will state it is based on a foreign licence. To remove this statement from your licence you must complete the PPL written and flight examinations.